Sunday, September 28, 2014

The kindle fell and cracked, and this happened...

A preface to this post is that since I am the way end of school for my degree, I have decided to slowly get back to blogging. It is fun, enjoyable, and a great way to loose some stress at the end of a hard day.

Back to the kindle falling-

The kindle fell of the kitchen counter with a dramatic bang. I instinctively knew that if the screen hadn't cracked, pigs would be flying. The kids were upset. The screen was cracked in a million places deeming it not only unplayable, but also dangerous as the swiping of the screen would undoubtedly cause a nick to the skin.

The kindle was tucked away. My first thought was, "as soon as the kids are in bed, I will have to scan the web for some new hot deal on a kindle or something similar. I will not survive with them not having one to play on."

I stopped in my tracks. What? I can't survive without them sitting on that blasted thing for hours? Then the thoughts came pouring in. Their free time was always soaked up by this device. Despite the fact that I tried to keep strict rules regarding its' usage, it had become this constant play-toy, one that the kids would beg for all the time. But it was so easy to just let them play because as a busy mom of six kids, I could use more than just a minute in the kitchen alone, string dinner and packing lunches.

After much thought, I decided that we won't be buying another one any time soon. The kids still get their computer turn once every other day, and I find that the desktop is so much more easily controlled.

The kids had withdrawal symptoms that were pretty bad. "what will we do?" "we will be bored forever" they would randomly blurt out in their annoyance with our decision not to replace their beloved kindle. 

And this happened. The kids found other things to keep them busy. Don't get me wrong, I hear just as many "im bored's" as the next mom, but they talk more about their day in details, they are more creative in their play together and I see their faces and watch them dance around the house or rough-house around the carpet. They are happier children I believe because they are now reliant on their own brains to keep them occupied. They are free.

The way I see it- it is much harder to parent in this day and age. With technology comes something great. But like all things wonderful and exciting, there is always a possibility of negativity associated with that good.The kindle was starting to harm my children in ways that an outsider wouldn't necessarily see. But we saw it, and I will forever be thankful for that moment in time when the kindle hit the floor.


My kids have taken an interest in playing card games, we bought a pool table which they love and are always playing with, and my younger ones have been joining in my culinary aspirations in the kitchen. The older boys are working on making a movie with my husband, and are busy with their own creative inventions. Moments of boredom will always present themselves, but I feel good knowing that I am raising them now with health habits.

It is now six months from that day when the kindle fell, and I am proud of my choices. I have connected more with my children and am enjoying them more. We have a healthier relationship with the computer as well, and the older kids have learned the keyboard through a kids learn-to-type software. Healthy habits for the computer is key.

This choice of ours is something that is specific to our family. Letting your child play on one of these devices is not a reflection of you as a parent , nor is it a tell-tale factor in how your child is doing. This is our choice for our children. Kindly refrain from any judgement, as I am the last one to judge yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment